The Ultimate Guide To Stretch Marks (+ 4 Natural Remedies)
A friend of mine asked me if there’s any cure for stretch marks.
Want to know what I told her? No, there’s not.
And that’s probably why beauty companies make so much money preying on women’s insecurities, promising an easy and fast cure.
But don’t get discouraged…
There are a ton of natural remedies that can help fade stretch marks, many of which you’ve probably heard of before.
The effect these solutions can have vary from person to person, and they usually require persistence for several months in order to see improvements.
But believe me, they really do work – much better than those beauty products… and at a fraction of the price.
However, the options are endless and sometimes it’s difficult to choose. I have a personal favorite treatment that I’ll share with you in a little bit…
But before you make your pick, you have to understand what happens at a cellular level when stretch marks appear on your skin.
The Biological Process Behind Stretch Marks
Image Source: eMediHealth
To put it simply, a stretch mark is what happens when the skin is stretched over its limit. A sudden increase of the steroid hormone cortisone can reduce the skin’s elasticity and make it more prone to stretch marks.
The cortisone affects the dermis (which is the middle tissue layer of the skin) and blocks it from creating collagen and elastin fibers.
Without these fibers, when you have a rapid growth spurt or dramatic changes in weight, the collagen fibers are stretched too far, leaving a gap.
The body then fills that gap with scar tissue – it has a red-purple tone at first, and then slowly begins to fade.
But stretch marks don’t fade nearly enough to go unnoticed. And if you don’t want people to see yours, choosing the right clothes every single time you go out can drive you up the wall…
However, there is a better way.
So let’s see what natural solutions you have to diminish the unpleasant look of your stretch marks…
Natural Remedies For Stretch Marks
#1. Shea Butter
Rich in vitamin A, shea butter is a thick cream that will be very hydrating for your skin.
The vitamin A is important because it is a retinoid and it helps stimulate collagen production, which has beneficial effects on your skin, helping it appear smoother.
Shea butter is also an emollient, which means it can reach the dermis and hydrate from within.
#2. Aloe Vera
This natural healing agent is a traditional medicine staple as it has many benefits for the skin and body.
Using the gel directly from the leaf of the plant and applying it on your stretch marks will help your skin tissue regenerate and fade the scars away.
#3. Lemon Juice
This one may be surprising, but the acidity of citrus fruit, and lemons in specific, can help heal and reduce scars.
Many women report seeing a difference after applying lemon juice to the stretch marks for 10 minutes every day.
Each of these natural ingredients could be your golden ticket to almost invisible stretch marks, because of their scar-healing abilities and hydrating effect.
However, I’m biased toward my own remedy recipe, which I give to people that come to me looking for help…
It definitely takes time, but after a month or so, everyone who has tried it says that it worked to reduce the scarring significantly.
My Favorite Natural Stretch Mark Remedy
Image Source: StyleCaster
- ½ cup of coffee grounds
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- Moisten the coffee grounds. You don’t want the coffee grounds to be rock-hard, because that would do more damage than good to your skin. Pour warm water over the coffee grounds and let them soak for a bit. If you’re using used coffee grounds instead of fresh, you can skip this step.
- Strain the remaining water out of the coffee grounds, and then move them to a separate bowl.
- Add the olive oil and mix until you have a paste.
- Rub the mixture gently onto the skin for around 3 to 5 minutes.
- After that, leave it on for 15-20 more minutes, so the nutrients are absorbed.
- Wipe the area with a damp towel.
- Moisturize with your favorite hydrating cream (cocoa butter, castor oil and extra virgin coconut oil also have positive effects on scars).
- Repeat every day until you see a difference.
You might be wondering why this recipe is my favorite…
Well, it’s because both the coffee and the olive oil have different strengths, but they work perfectly together to fade stretch marks almost completely.
The coffee grounds are there to exfoliate, as you could probably tell. They remove dead skin, helping to permeate the skin and hydrate from the inside out.
In addition, caffeine also stimulates blood flow in the skin, which improves cell regeneration.
On the other hand, olive oil is an amazing moisturizer with a unique ability to protect the skin against bacteria.
The two ingredients work together to help your skin absorb water efficiently and your stretch marks will start to smooth out.
If you decide to try my remedy, I’m sure you’ll notice a striking improvement in your skin’s appearance.
However, I have to admit, there is a better treatment for stretch marks. So…
What Is The Best Treatment Of Them All?
You’ve probably heard this everywhere, but it’s the truth: prevention is the best cure!
Even if you already have some stretch marks, preventing others from appearing is still important.
Let me give you my advice on preventing stretch marks…
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate – In order to regenerate and keep in shape, the skin needs water. And with our bodies not having the ability to signal how much water we need, you need to make a conscious decision to drink at least 70oz of water per day. On top of that, you can use a hydrating skin cream all over your body, focusing on the abdomen, legs, and arms.
- Vitamins – Eating vitamin-rich foods is the treatment your whole body needs to stay healthy, not just your skin. To keep your skin looking young, look for fruits and veggies that have high levels of vitamin C, A, D, and E.
- Reduce caffeine consumption – If you’re an avid coffee drinker, you need to think about the effects it can have on your body. While applying a coffee scrub to your skin is beneficial, because it helps remove dead skin, drinking coffee can be dehydrating. Be sure to balance out the caffeine you’re consuming with enough water to keep your skin looking fresh.
And that concludes my guide to stretch marks. Have you tried any of the natural remedies I recommended? Or do you have your own secret formula? Tell me in the comments below.